From:
michael perelman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Feb 2011 10:04:58 -0800
I just published a new book, "The Invisible Handcuffs of Capitalism:
How Market Tyranny Stifles the Economy by Stunting Workers."  A
central theme of the book not suggested by the title is that
economists frame their discipline by emphasizing transactions to the
exclusion of considerations of production.

Beginning with Adam Smith's pin factory, economists have tried to turn
attention from production.  I don't have time to explain it here, but
his very clever presentation was dishonest, ignoring large industry,
including a steam run pin factory.

Those economists, beginning with Jevons, who have trespassed into the
subject of production [something more than the purchase of the
appropriate factors with the assumption that everything in the black
box will be performed efficiently] have been severely reprimanded.

Anyway, this is not quite language, but framing, which is closely related.
--
Michael Perelman
Economics Department

530 898 5321