From:
mason gaffney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Jun 2010 05:24:38 -0700
Re Schliesser and Braun, Bentham on diminishing marginal utility certainly
undergirded the case for progressive taxation. This was standard canon until
Mussolini's friend Pareto persuaded many economists, more willing than
reluctant to be led, they must not make interpersonal comparisons. Smith's
French mentors like Turgot, Quesnay, and various Physiocrats sought to
remove the corvee, and many excise taxes, and shift taxes to exempt
landowners. Walras and Wicksell, among others, were like-minded. I am
surprised that Braun would doubt it. To think of Mill as an "exception" is
hard to accept, since his Principles was the major textbook for years around
the midcentury. Pitt's income taxes hardly touched common labor, since Pitt
knew there was no surplus there to tax. Smith attributed the decline of
Spain to its sales taxes - the cientos and the alcabala - while favoring a
tax on mansions as a mere "display of riches". I think that C.R. Braun is
wrong about the classical economists. A recent book on the point is Donald
Stabile, A Living Wage.

Mason Gaffney