From:
Bruce Caldwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Dec 2009 14:17:41 -0500
Dear Colleagues,

There were errors in both the Center website address and in Kevin's
e-mail address in my original announcement updating you on the
Center's activities (I prefer to chalk this up to hurrying to get
things done before the Thanksgiving holiday rather than to any long
term computer disability, or worse, on my part.) Please replace my
earlier announcement with the one below.

Bruce Caldwell

We are in the process of updating our web site at
www.econ.duke.edu/HOPE. One prominent change is to put on the main
page (what we have taken to calling the "HOPE Portal") a link labeled
Resources for Historians of Economics, which contains links to
relevant journals, societies, blogs, online archives and literature
sources, and so on. If you have suggestions for websites that you
think should be listed, please send them to our webmaster and overall
web guru, Kevin Hoover, at [log in to unmask]

As was mentioned in an earlier post, the Center will be sponsoring,
with a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities, a "Boot
Camp for Teaching the History of Thought,"  to be held at Duke from
June 5-26, 2010.  Brad Bateman, Steve Medema, and Sandy Peart will
join me as co-directors for 1 week each, and guest lectures will be
provided by Craufurd Goodwin, Kevin Hoover, and Roy Weintraub. The
aim is to get the history of thought back into the undergraduate
curriculum, particularly but not exclusively at good liberal arts
colleges, the sort that might send students on to graduate programs
in economics. (This is the first step, as we see it, in a long run
strategy of getting it back into the graduate curriculum.) If you
know of economists who might have an interest in the history of
thought, please encourage them to visit our website and look at the
information under the "NEH Summer Institute" tab. IMPORTANT NOTE: 3
of the 25 places have been reserved for graduate students. If you
know of a good grad student who might have such interests, please
encourage him or her to have a look.

I will close with a reminder that we are now accepting applications
for our Fellowship Program for the 2010-2011 academic year. Both
junior (pre-doc, post-doc, or graduated in the last few years) and
senior candidates are encouraged to apply for fellowships for a
semester or for the academic year. If you have a sabbatical semester
coming up, consider spending in the company of fellow historians of
thought at Duke. If you would prefer instead to come for a shorter
visit, we can often provide work space, either in a private carrel in
the library or in the Center itself.  For further information, please
see the information provided under the "Fellowship Program" and
"Academic Visits" tabs under the Center.

Bruce Caldwell