From:
GM Ambrosi <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 22 Aug 2011 06:51:09 +0200
Steve Kates invoked Mill’s “demand for commodities is not demand for
labour”.  I find his argument quite intriguing:

1) Steve  seems to be quite clear that it was _Alfred Marshall_ and
not Keynes who made J.St. Mill's argument appear obsolete.
Then he goes on to argue:

2) Mill's  "words would have been the foundation for the most
insightful analysis and forecast for what would happen following the
introduction of the stimulus packages in 2009."

Is the argument now concerning 1) : it was the textbook success of
_Marshall_ and  _not_   the textbook success of Keynes which made
Mill's statement  obsolete?

Is the argument concerning 2): The neoclassical marginalist analysis
is totally wrong in view of the 2009 crisis?  Has neoclassical
analysis failed the falsification test in 2009?

My own view on this matter I have put recently thus:
see:
http://cje.oxfordjournals.org/content/early/2010/09/03/cje.beq027.full.pdf?
ijkey=6aIg4BWngJW5F0Y&keytype=ref

"But the reason why today such an ‘insight’ [like Mill's]  may
rightfully be considered as an ‘absurdity’ is
not the spread of ‘Keynesian perversity’ but the classical marginal
analysis itself. It is the
(neo-)classical theory of the firm that generates the indeed
fundamental relationship—in
total opposition to J. St. Mill’s allegedly ‘profound insight’—that
there is a necessary
connection between output demand meeting and being produced by firms
on the one hand
and employment by firms on the other hand. This is what the Footnote
[in the General Theory, pp. 55–6, n.2]  expresses and this is an
essential step in Keynes’ theory of employment."

re:

--
Prof. em. Dr. Dr.h.c. G.M. Ambrosi
Jean Monnet Professor "ad personam"