From:
Lawrence Boland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Jul 2010 18:15:11 -0700
Several have suggested that I look at catalogs.

Actually, I have looked at the calendars for my undergraduate and graduate
universities -- 1957 and '61 for the former, and '61 and '65 for the latter. In
none of them were there micro or macro courses by title. In '57 and '61
undergraduate calendars there were none even by description. However, in both,
there was classes in intermediate "price theory" and intermediate "national
income analysis". For graduate school in '61, there were two classes in "general
economic theory", neither of which mentions micro or macro as they have the same
description. When it came to '65 the titles were the same but one mentions
"general micro-economic theory" and the other "a review of Keynesian
macro-economics".

I have the fourth edition (1958) of Samuelson's textbook (which I used in '61).
He mentions micro vs macro on only two pages, the first of which he promoted the
neoclassical synthesis to say the "cleavage between [them] has been closed" (p.
360).

Does anyone have the first edition? My school is too new to have a library copy.

LB

--
Lawrence A. Boland, FRSC
Department of Economics, Simon Fraser University