Date:
Fri, 24 Mar 2023 02:40:03 +0000
8bit
Sender:
I understand what you are saying, and agree with what you say about
Jim's plan and his awareness of the dangers he faced, but I don't see
Jim as controlling or manipulative of Huck; I see him reflecting many of
the tenets of the Quaker and Dunker Baptist faiths, and setting a
paternal example for Huck, as I explained in detail in one of my MTJ
essays (which I won't rehash here--you're welcome).

The vast majority of slaves who escaped slavery did so without needing a
white children "as cover," and they all knew exactly what perils they
faced. I must admit, I'm not exactly sure of what you mean when you say
"having Huck as cover." I'm also curious about which moments you think
are examples of "when Jim plays on Huck's sympathy." I earlier suggested
the Buchanan book as an excellent account of black life on the
Mississippi, and one thing that becomes clear from his historical
documentation is that blacks (both free and enslaved) moved more freely
up and down the Mississippi River than most literary critics and
historians might think, all without having to control or manipulate any
white kids.

Kevin
@
Mac Donnell Rare Books