Sender:
From:
Hal Bush <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Sep 1998 10:17:40 -0500
2 replies to 2 different threads:

1.  About Imperialism (I realize this is not so much contemporary to Twain
as it sort of underlies the rest of the 19th century American Thought;
nevertheless:)

A two-part series began airing on PBS Sunday and continues tonight (Monday)
titled *The US-Mexican War*.  This was a significant bit of history for a
number of reasons, including the fact it was the first to be photographed
(daguerreotyped, actually) and had a significant peace
movement opposing it (an obscure freshman Congressman from Illinois offered
his first speech to the House in opposition to the war: Lincoln ...)

2.  Regardin Jack Buck's comment comparing McGwire to Huck Finn:

First, for you folks not residing here in St. Louis:  I can only begin to
suggest the huge swell of nativistic glee surrounding this momentous event
in these here parts:  WOW!  What a totem festival to Big Mac!  Among other
things, some local rock and roll stations keep playing this somewhat
irritating hymn to HIM over and over and over . . . He is, in short, the
incarnate American Adam . . . and I suppose, for the general pop culture,
Huck sort of stands for similar things . . .Why that is so is grist for the
Twain mills, although I think Shelley Fisher Fishkin's reading of the Tom
Sawyer Days in Hannibal in her book _Lighting Out for the Territory_ is
suggestive of a rather huge and embarrassing tendency toward illiteracy
regarding our hero Sam.

PS -- for the team, I think Joe Harper deserves at least some playing time.
 Probably an infielder.  For a grizzled, mean-looking reliever a la Lee
Smith or Goose Gossage -- how about Slade?  For team owner:  Brigham Young.

Hal Bush
Saint Louis University