From:
Robert Hirst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Jun 2006 07:15:37 -0700
T Dempsey wrote:

I went down today and went through the 1840 census records for
Hannibal and was unable to locate a Cross of any kind.  I do not
think I overlooked it. I will go down when and if I have a time and
ask the church clerk to retrieve the session minutes of the First
Presbyterian Church. She has done this for me in the past.  The
complete record for this period exists. I only photocopied the first
few years of the church when I was researching my book on slavery. I
will see if there is a Cross listed.  If he was a member, he will be
there. I will post what I find.
    If anyone else wants to double-check the census, I would not be
offended.

The entry in Huck Finn and Tom Sawyer among the Indians that I quoted
from did in fact cite, among many other sources, the Marion Census
for 1840, p. 89, and the Marion Census for 1850, p. 311.

RHH