From:
Scott Holmes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Jan 2023 10:41:45 -0800
I appreciate your thought, Barbara, but the site is already off-line.  I
continue to work on it on my development platform - which is not
available on-line.  I'm afraid the site got too big to run on a more
affordable shared-host site such as bluehost. While it was available, I
had hoped for more direct interaction with the public and I am grateful
for the attention it did receive.  The most recent contributions
involved the  Cairo, Illinois material and Mark Twain at Saranac Lake.

I think the primary cause for a sparsity of involvement relates to the
Twain community, whose main  interest remains Twain's literary work.
His literature is peripheral to my  own project in  which Twain is only
a guide through the times and places he experienced and for which he
offered comment.  One point that I found of great interest but seemed to
generate very little interest was that the young Sam Clemens could not
have returned to St. Louis from New York by train. There were no trains
arriving at St. Louis or East St. Louis in the Spring of 1854.

Anyway, Twain's Geography has always been about me keeping my mind
active - and it remains so.  I do hope to be able to make it public
again, however.  I rather feel as if I'm painting a portrait that may or
may  not ever be viewed by the general public.

--
/Unaffiliated Geographer and Twain aficionado/