From:
Larry Marshburne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Nov 2002 06:49:26 -0800
Howdy,

Bob Newhart (along with Mark Twain) still appeals to
the sacred 18-to-35 demographic?  Now that I think is
reason to celebrate.

And I thought many, if not all, of these honorees
wrote a lot of their own material.  (That means we can
call them writers.)

This forum seems to have a history of bad-mouthing
anything anyone else does concerning Twain: the latest
PBS documentary, the latest biography, the latest
awards show.

I feel like quoting that other American icon, Rodney
King.

Instead I'll use a quote often attributed to Twain:
"My books are water: those of the great geniuses are
wine. Everybody drinks water."

People keep treating Twain like a producer of water;
we want him treated like a wine producer.  Twain
belongs to the masses, not to us connoisseurs.

Thanks, Larry