From:
Kevin Mac Donnell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Aug 2010 08:16:34 -0500
Roger Durrett is our second place winner! (Roger--contact me off-list with
your mailing address and tell me which book you want).

The first place winner, who replied with the correct answers in
record-breaking time off-list, is Sharon McCoy.

It is possible that Steve Courtney's answers are correct, and that Henry
Ward Beecher met  ED, but I'm still trying to hunt down proof of their
having met. Beecher visited the Evergreens (the home of Emily's brother
Austin who lived next door to her) several times, but as those familiar with
her biography already know, that alone doesn't make the case since she
didn't bother to meet many famous people who visited her brother, and often
hid upstairs when visitors came to her father's home. Twain met Beecher
quite a few times, first in NY, and later in Hartford. If anybody can
document a meeting between ED and Beecher then Steve also gets a book and
we'll add a fourth name to the roster of mutual friends of Sam and Emily.

PS: The full text of ED's poem "I heard a fly buzz when I died" is widely
available online. You are welcome to compare it with my far superior version
in which the fly dies instead of the narrator, and some Twain gets read.
I've stuffed the original manuscript of my poem into my dresser drawer along
with the other 2,000 poems I've written on the fly.

Kevin
@
Mac Donnell Rare Books
9307 Glenlake Drive