From:
Doug Mackenzie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Sep 2010 08:47:10 -0700
> I would be
> interested myself in seeing Hayek's own way of putting these
> thoughts if they are indeed substantially different from the
> edited version we now have.

The term 'these thoughts' suggests a static intellectual framework. If Hayek is right about the mind not being able to predict its own advance, then we have no way of knowing how Hayek's thinking would have developed if he had been able to complete this book himself. How useful is a comparison of a completed work with a work in progress? Bartley may have "tidied up Hayek's Germanic prose" or he if he may have "illegitimately introduced his own epistemological pre-dispositions" or he could have simply done as much as anyone could have to stay true to what Hayek would have done himself. This forensic work will satisfy some curiosity, but it will not really prove anything.