From:
Pat Gunning <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Sep 2010 01:44:42 -0400
  This discussion about Hayek raises an interesting question. Many of
"us" are involved not so much in the history of economics but the
history of individuals who are classified consensually as economists. Of
course these two subjects are not easily separable, since the objects of
our study typically define their own work in terms of the work of their
predecessors and peers.

In any case, my point is that many of these objects of our study surely
have minds that are far more complex than those of us who write papers
and books about them. The question raised by this discussion of Hayek is
this. It is difficult for me to imagine anyone who is even partly
familiar with Hayek's works not stepping back in awe -- in admiration of
his interpretation of commonplace phenomena in ways that can have no
other effect than to expand the cognitive horizon of the reader who
knows how the phenomena has been previously interpreted. Examples are
his two brilliant papers on equilibrium (Economics and Knowledge) and
the use of particular knowledge in society. Beyond these strictly
economic contributions are his various interpretations of philosophy,
epistemology, politics, and the field of social science in general.
Given these "awesome" contributions, what kind of mind, and person,
would it take to interpret his works in a way that would meet with
Hayek's own, prime state of mind, approval?
A similar question can, of course, be asked about any historian of ideas
who attempts to study a particular "economist." But for the real masters
of our "science," it is far more important. If their minds are not
studied by someone who is up to the task, it is probable that the
brilliant ideas of our predecessors be lost to future generations.

Studying a great economist in history requires quite a bit of
self-confidence and perhaps arrogance, doesn't it? An unedited version
of The Fatal Conceit is research material. But it seems to me that a
whole lot more is required than one more piece of research material to
capture Hayek for future generations. Nevertheless, it can hardly hurt.
On the other hand, I personally don't recall learning anything new from
the version I read., although this might be due to the fact that the
editor misinterpreted Hayek's meaning and intent. Am I likely to learn
something new from an unedited version. What, I might ask a promoter of
the project, is that likely to be?

I am reminded of the infinite number of monkeys typing away on
typewriters through infinity. They would eventually type all of the
great books. But how is that relevant to someone who is trying to
determine what a great book really is? What, one might ask a supporter
of the unedited Hayek version of Fatal Conceit, is one likely to learn
that is useful?

--
Pat Gunning
Professor of Economics