From:
Pat Gunning <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Dec 2010 09:33:56 -0500
A continuing problem facing both the historian of economic thought and
those who have suggestions about how to prepare students is that of
defining the subject matter. Warren points out that Roy's reference to
the personal and idiosyncratic is too narrow a characterization of
the"economist's conception of the scope and central problem of the
economy." He goes on to introduce a characterization that draws
attention to the different methodologies, conceptions of the market,
conceptions of the agent, and conceptions of economic freedom that have
been used in conceiving "the scope and central problem of the economy."
He concludes that there are numerous ways to do economics. Because of
this, students should be "trained" or at least motivated to deal with
fundamental epistemological issues and also with the meaning of society
itself.

As I have argued before on the list in a somewhat different context,
this approach to the history of economics puts the cart before the
horse. Warren assumes that because there are many conceptions of the
scope and central problem (and of derivative concepts), it is the
historian's first job to put himself in a position to report on as many
of these as is reasonable.

On the contrary, I say. The first job -- or more accurately -- the
ultimate goal is to define the scope and central problem in order to
produce a means of separating economics from non-economics. It is, as I
have argued, impossible to make choices about which of the numerous ways
to "do economics" without first defining economics.

It may well be the case that before one can make a persuasive definition
of economics, she must study epistemology and the meaning of society.
However, the ultimate goal should be a definition of scope and central
problem, not the reporting of what others, in some amorphously defined
subject, believe the scope and central problem is. To adopt the latter
approach is nothing more than an invitation to the teacher to
surreptitiously insert his or her own values in the choice of materials
to assign and the choice of how to assess students' performance.

With this in mind, I would suggest that the first topic in every course
in the history of economic thought should be: what is economics?. Or, in
Warren's terms, "what is the scope and central problem of the economy?"
Send the students out on a discovery mission and have them report back
their findings and subject those findings to the kind of scrutiny that
can only be present in a community of scholars. I would go on to suggest
that in pursuing the answer to this question, the best candidates for a
Ph. D. or for whatever other credentials you might wish to bestow on
them will lead themselves into their own exploration of epistemology and
to a study of the nature of society.

If this procedure were adopted, I dare say that the teachers of these
courses might well learn a thing or two themselves.

--
Pat Gunning
Professor of Economics