From:
"E.Schoorl" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Dec 2009 09:18:55 -0500
[FYI, I've been struggling recently to keep this
thread within the bounds of the history of
economics, broadly defined. Forgive me if you
think the holes in the net are too big (and
remember  the delete key is close by). Forgive me
if you think the holes are too small and I should
not have rejected your message. Unlike
Goldilocks, it's hard to know what's just right.
Thanks to all who contribute to this list. HB]

Marie Duggan wrote:
>Microeconomics does seem to offer insights into
>the pressure our society puts on parents to pay,
>and into the tensions among members of society.

Marie Duggan seems to claim the domain of
"children as public goods" (misnomer) for
feminist economics, but perhaps as a babysitting
grandpa I may add a few remarks. The issue is at
the core of economics: raising children is about
allocating scarce resources as well as about love
and affection. Lack of the latter may cause
serious economic problems (Heckman's point). So
it's a nice illustration for undergraduates to
define what economics is about and what not.

I offer a silly policy example from recent Dutch
experience. Our coalition government is dominated
by two christian-democratic parties and includes
a minister of family affairs. The PM likes to
call his crew a Norms and Values Cabinet. It
introduced a remuneration for babysitting
grandparents and neighbours. Economists warned:
this will hardly bring about new activity, but
merely take non-market work to market; it will
need a lot of bureaucracy and still remain
extremely sensitive to fraud. And so it happened,
the expenses exploded ­ with intermediate
agencies, not the grandparents profiting the most
- and the arrangement was slimmed down to minimal proportions.
(Needless to say, this grandpa always refused to
have his affectionate relationship with his
children and grandchildren being spoilt by market
considerations. Speaking of norms and values!)

Evert Schoorl