From:
Pat Gunning <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Dec 2010 22:21:44 -0500
Roy likes to think in extremes. He also apparently does not like people
who classify themselves as historians of economic thought.

But I would venture to say that none of the people in this class would
deny that "ideas are human creations and performance of complex social
acts." Moreover, it seems to me perfectly reasonable, no matter what
calls oneself,  to deny that sociology, anthropology, and rhetoric have
anything directly to do with the history of certain ideas. Ricardo's law
of comparative advantage, for example, is an economic thought that can
be studied without reference to sociology, etc. One might want to study
the social, etc. context in which this thought was produced. But one
might also want to study how this thought was handed down and modified
or improved upon by subsequent individuals who met the challenge of
attempting to expand on it. The same is true of the invisible hand
theorem, the marginal productivity theory of distribution, the theorem
of consumer sovereignty, the theory of private property rights, the
quantity theory of money, and the Austrian trade cycle theory. I am sure
there are others.

I sometimes wonder whether the relativists among us might use relativism
as an excuse for avoiding the hard choices about which ideas are
significant and which are not. In my view, it makes a difference to the
future of a society whether people do or do not understand

(1) that the division of labor can make labor more productive.
(2) that, under free markets, individuals tend to receive rewards
commensurate with their contribution to the well being of those in the
consumer role.
(3) that private property rights mitigate what would otherwise be
external effects.
(4) that, other things equal, an increase in the money supply causes
higher prices.
(5) that, other things equal, an unplanned for increase in the money
supply by means of loan markets cause malinvestment and a trade cycle.

A citizen who fails to learn these lessons is hardly qualified to
participate in the election of government agents who are expected to
help set the rules circumscribing human interaction.

These "ideas" or "thoughts" are every bit as important as the ideas and
thoughts that make up the history of physics and chemistry. Indeed, a
good argument can be made that if it had not been for advances in the
enlightened ideas of the predecessors of the modern economists, physics
and chemistry would not have advanced very far, as everyone knows they
have. I personally pity those historians of any ilk attempting who
trivialize these "economic thoughts" and I would challenge anyone to
defend the proposition that any one of them is not important for the
citizens of a democracy to know.

Yet Roy seems to think that the history of these ideas or thoughts MUST
consist of fairy tales. There are certainly misguided and mistaken
histories of ideas. But Roy's claim is much stronger.

--
Pat Gunning
Professor of Economics