From:
Roger Sandilands <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Dec 2010 12:40:28 +0000
The fullest discussion of the allegation that Harry White was acting as a Soviet agent in regard to the Adminstration's decision in 1944 to give German occupation-currency plates to the Russians is by Bruce Craig, _Treasonable Doubt: The Harry Dexter White Spy Case_ (University Press of Kansas, 2004, ch.5). Craig concludes that "there was nothing surreptitious or duplicitous in White's statements or actions" (p.132).
Craig also cites John Morton Blum (_From the Morgenthau Diaries: Years of War_, 1967): "The decision about the duplicate plates subordinated technical to military and political judgments. It was not primarily White's decision... All of them [Treasury, State and War Departments; the Combined Chiefs of Staff; and the British government] were dedicated to the advancement of their common hope for successful cooperation among the Russians, the British and the Americans throughout the postwar world, not least in Germany" (p.134).
However, soon the Grand Alliance segued into Cold War, and even today many view the Grand Alliance inordinately through the latter lenses.
Regarding White's 1930s advice on Chinese silver stocks (and lessons for today) see James Boughton, "New Light on Harry Dexter White," Journal of the History of Economic Thought, 26:2 (2004) and Benn Steil (2010) at http://www.cfr.org/publication/22498/lessons_from_the_1930s_for_a_rising_renminbi.html
Roger Sandilands
University of Strathclyde, Glasgow