From:
Pat Gunning <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Dec 2010 10:26:44 -0500
Adam and John raise the same issue, it seems to me. They are concerned
with my use of words. They think that my statement that "sociology,
anthropology, and rhetoric have nothing directly to do with the history
of certain ideas" is either a contradiction of the term "history" or
blasphemous. Not so, I would argue.

It is possible that the argument for them turns on a dogmatic definition
of history. In other words, they may use a definition of history that
necessarily excludes the possibility that ideas are independent of
culture. If so, then the proper question to ask is: what does it mean to
say that "ideas are independent of culture." No reasonable person,
including me, would say that ideas can exist without people or that the
concept of people I use when I speak of ideas is independent of culture.
I certain accept the proposition that everyone on this list is
associated with a culture and would not be who they are in the absence
of a culture. Similarly everyone who has ideas is associated with a
culture. My argument is that the ideas I am describing TRANSCEND
culture. What I mean by this is that, so long as people have certain
experiences, these ideas would be important to them. The critical
"causal" variable is not culture but the experiences that people have.
The idea of culture and the idea of experience are not co-defined, in my
usage of these terms. They are distinct.

Let me give some examples of experiences that I believe transcend culture.

The child in the crib can cause mom to come if he makes a particular
sound. The standing child will fall down if he does not hold on to
something to prop him up. The man who heats a pot of water over a fire
can cause the water to boil. Finally, the government leader who commands
an irrigation system for his mountain island (I am thinking of Bali) can
increase the productivity of agriculture. These causal ideas are not
absolute. They are each conditional on the presence of other
circumstances that I have not specified. But they are invariant with
respect to a particular culture.

Now let me focus on the last of these ideas: an irrigation system. I
maintain that it is reasonable, meaningful, and perhaps helpful to the
current generation to glean a history of the ideas and thoughts from
writings at different times and in different places about using
irrigation to raise the productivity of agriculture.

I also maintain that it is reasonable, meaningful, and helpful to the
current generation to write a history of economic ideas and thoughts of
the type that are listed in my post, as shown below. We are able to form
this history because we are human actors whose minds possess a logical
structure and not necessarily because we are associated with a
particular culture.

This is not to deny that members of some cultures would not be prepared
to comprehend these ideas. A child who had never observed an adult walk
may never try to stand. And a person who had never seen fire us unlikely
to form the idea that it can cause water to boil. These people are
capable of forming the ideas because their minds, too, have a logical
structure; but they are just unlikely to do so.

--
Pat Gunning
Professor of Economics