From:
Sumitra Shah <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Aug 2011 18:16:53 -0400
For the caveats Eric Schleisser expressed and Roy Weintraub's further reflections, we have an excellent source in the 2004 HES presidential address by Roy: "Autobiographical Memory and the Historiography of Economics." (JHET, Vol 27, No. 1 March 2005)

It uses the research in cognitive psychology to point out many of the pitfalls historians of economics should be aware of. I am sure it is okay to quote the concluding thought:

"As a consequence, we historians of economics  understand too little of the autobiographical impulse and have too impoverished a vocabulary to provide interesting, let alone compelling, appraisals of its products. Scholars in history, psychology, sociology, literature, and medicine have begun to address these issues. I submit that we historians of economics have a lot of interesting work left to do."

Sumittra Shah