Jocelyn Chadwick <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 5 Jan 2011 22:37:06 -0500
Many years ago, the Mark Twain House hosted a panel--Dick Gregory, Shelley Fisher Fishkin, Russell Simmons, Gloria Naylor, and myself. The purpose of the panel was to discuss where the term "nigger" fitted, if it did at all, in the 20th century. While Simmons argued that African Americans, particularly young artists and musicians, had reclaimed and thereby redacted the term, making "nigger," along with other iterations, terms of endearment, others of us on the panel argued that no one entity possesses the ability to take a term laden with such history and bloodshed and struggle and transform it into a term devoid of its historicity.

As with so many texts which contain sensitive terms, events, moments, Adventures of Huckleberry Finn seeks to compel readers to confront the ugliness of dehumanization, the hypocrisy of feigned civility, the travesty of the bond of friendship--all framed within the realm of race and racism.

When we begin to feel the need to filter the truth from our students, when we relinquish our understanding of when and why we teach such works, and when we determine we must decide "which" of our students may read any text, based on race, gender, religion, or cultural difference, we are, my friends, in danger of losing why we are yet in both the high school and college classroom. I earnestly hope those who would censor Mark Twain and other pieces of "sensitive" literatures as, would ask those they are "trying to protect."

Knowing how to teach the work is up to us as teachers now and up to us to help those new teachers coming after us.

Jocelyn

Sent from my iPad