From:
Riccardo Faucci <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 6 Feb 2011 10:54:59 +0100
Let me remind (and recommend as well) the important personality of Paul N.
Rosenstein Rodan (1902-1985), an Austrian economist who gained a
Rockefeller fellowship for Italy in the thirties, and was in touch with
Einaudi. After some studies in the pure theory of consumption  (published
in Italian, in the "Riforma sociale" and in "Nuova collana degli
economisti"), he passed to the theory of economic development publishing
an important study on "Problems of Industrialisation of Eastern and
South-Eastern Europe", EJ, Sept-Oct. 1943. In the fifties, he spent some
time again in Italy at the SVIMEZ (Associazione per lo sviluppo economico
del Mezzogiorno, Association for the economic develoment of Southern
Italy) in Rome. Please note that also such scholars as Robert Eckaus,
Albert Hirschman (who graduated in Italy about 1935), Hollis Chenery,
Friedrich and Vera Lutz contributed works for  SVIMEZ. The story of the
connections between Italian and foreign prominent scholars in this study
center is still to be written.
Probably a biographical sketch of Rosenstein Rodan was written after his
death, but I do not know.
Riccardo Faucci