From:
Edith Kuiper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Dec 2009 17:15:50 -0500
Can I add to this list, for reasons of completeness, the concept of
children as durable
goods, as coined by Gary Becker?

In the US the costs of children are mainly perceived as private costs,
whereas in most European welfare states a considerable part of the
costs of children are financed
through taxation or by additional flexibility and programs by employers.

I miss in this discussion the opportunity costs of (mostly) mothers,
which can add up to 500.000 over a life time.
Was it Schumpeter who said that when all individuals would really act
on the basis of self-interest only, children would not be born?

Edith Kuiper