From:
Humberto Barreto <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Feb 2011 10:17:52 -0500
> Davenant and King were friends. Most people assume that Davenant took
> the idea from King.

Thanks, Michael.

Stigler wrote:
"A  century  later  these  calculations  were
attributed  to  Gregory  King  by  Lord
Lauderdale,28  without  any  known
basis ;29  and  since  then  they  have  usu-
ally  been  known  as  Gregory  King's
"law."

That's where I got my understanding that Davenant was the first, but I
confused it in retelling it. Sigh.

Still leaves the question of why "most people" credit King. Stigler is
saying "without any known basis." Any thoughts or citations on that?

--
Humberto Barreto
www.depauw.edu/learn/microexcel