From:
James Ahiakpor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Dec 2015 12:25:42 -0800
GM Ambrosi wrote:
> @Mason Gaffney wondering about the "concern over who said it first".
> I think it is important to establish that there is no quote from
> Keynes stating that he interpreted the GT  "as a dynamic theory of
> unemployment." Discussing this  is not a question of "copyright" but
> one of analysis.

I agree with Michael Ambrosi's first comment.  Knowing what Keynes said
and what someone else is interpreting him to have said is important.  I
just wish Ambrosi would apply the same treatment to Keynes's claim (GT,
p. 63) to have been interpreting correctly what "the traditional usage
of the great majority of economists" meant by "saving" and "investment,"
and which led to his [Keynes's] insistence that saving and investment
are "necessarily equal." Michael says:

> Briefly elaborating my view of the matter, I maintain that the crucial
> point of Keynes's analysis is his claim that investment is
> "necessarily" equal to  savings (GT, p. xxxii, p. 63  and passim). As
> a theory of macroeconomic (un)employment this implies a
> comparative-static  "anticipated ex-post analysis" (Ambrosi, 2003, ch.
> 26.2, pp. 397-403). The static aspect comes from the fact that there
> must be at least conceptually the static moment of pause in which the
> income expenditure accounts for a given period of income generation
> are matched with the income production accounts as described on p.63 GT.
> Michael Ambrosi
> (Ambrosi, G.M. 2003, Keynes, Pigou and Cambridge Keynesians, palgrave
> macmillan)

Now, from Adam Smith through to Alfred Marshall, Pigou, and Robertson,
saving was defined as the purchase of financial assets or the supply of
loanable funds that earns interest or dividends, not cash hoarding.
That is why saving is the same thing as "investment" in financial
assets.  On the other hand, "investment" by the same authors also meant
employment of the loanable funds in the sphere of production.  Thus,
"investment" includes the purchase of producer's goods -- fixed and
circulating capital -- the wages funds, and cash-on-hand to facilitate
production.  Understood that way, "investment" can exceed savings by
households when a central bank increases its supply of money, swelling
up the volume of credit and depressing interest rates.  This is what
starts the process called "forced saving."

Clearly, Keynes misunderstood what "the great majority of economists"
before him and his distinguished colleagues, including Pigou and
Robertson, meant by saving and investment.  That is why he came to the
conclusion he did.  Keynes also dismissed the concept of "forced saving"
as being meaningless, because no one can be forced to save -- meaning
hoarding cash!  Turning Keynes's confusion into an "anticipated ex-post
analysis" just blurs recognition of what was the matter with him.  Can
we read Keynes from a clear understanding of what the classics meant by
their key concepts of saving, investment, capital, and money, I keep
pleading?

James Ahiakpor

--
James C.W. Ahiakpor, Ph.D.