From:
Pat Gunning <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Feb 2011 12:18:11 -0500
Let's not forget that the 50s and 60s were a period during which math
was emerging as the language of economics and also in which the
proliferation of sub-fields was occurring.

Development, to the mathematicians, became growth and its future in the
economics profession was largely dictated by the requirement that growth
theories be represented mathematically.

Development to the proliferators became stage theories and expressions
of claims that traditional economic principles could not be applied to
the "underdeveloped" economies. The particular "cultural," "social" and
"historical" characteristics of each potentially developing society had
to be accounted for.

It took many years for the more traditional economists to recognize that
math was an inappropriate way to describe the prerequisites for growth
and that claims of historical particularlism were mainly manifestations
of the elitism that characterized the progressive movement that gave
birth to this idea.

I refer especially to the work of Peter Bauer and Hernando de Soto but
also to the wealth of empirical data, including the studies of
comparable societies that were violently separated, like Korea and China
vs. Taiwan.

--
Pat Gunning
Professor of Economics