From:
Pat Gunning <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Feb 2011 11:48:26 -0500
Richard says that "first year textbooks are 'forced'" to derive an AD
curve in a way that does not correspond to how the curve is actually (or
"properly" or "logically") derived. He says that this is done for
"pedagogical convenience." Can we really take this seriously? Surely,
the purpose of deriving the AD curve in this way is misleading. The
student who goes on to study macroeconomics must "un-learn" this way.
And the student who does not go on is deceived into believing that she
has learned something that she has not learned at all.

--
Pat Gunning
Professor of Economics