From:
Richard Lipsey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Feb 2011 10:59:51 -0800

"Forced" to do the derivations verbally because teachers will not accept
elementary algebra as a mainline technique in first year courses
Illustration: my UK text book An Introduction to Positive Economics was the
leading text book in the UK from the mid 1960s to the early 1980s. Then I
decided to develop the key macro relations in three ways: verbally,
geometrically and finally algebraically. I immediately suffered a massive
loss of adoptions. The market had spoken: it did not want algebra, even when
it came after both an intuitive verbal and a geometric derivation. I had to
decide between sticking with this treatment or being used.  So I went back
to verbal and geometric derivations only (There is no point in writing a
text book that no one will use.)

"Forced" to derive AD  before money is introduced was too strong a word to
use here. Again in my 1980s treatment I derived the AD curve after I had
introduced money and so could do it in the standard way. But instructors
overwhelming wanted to introduce AD before the Demand  for and Supply of
money were introduced . To do this, one has to allow the Aggregate
Expenditure function to be shifted through a wealth (outside not inside
wealth) effect, but not an interest rate effect, as the price level is
varied. There is nothing misleading or incorrect in this. It is just that
empirically the (outside) wealth effect is much less powerful than the
interest rate effect. The latter is then introduced after dealing with money
Demand and Supply. This is what most text books do, and then point out after
this has been done that the interest rate effect is more important
empirically than the wealth effect  Ideally I would not introduce the AD and
AS curves until after both the expenditure and monetary equilibrium
conditions had been introduced, but this is not what instructors want. It is
NOT a matter of right or wrong but a matter of pedagogy as long as one ends
up with the verbal and geometric expression of the equations of the final
model. As already mentioned, these issues are covered in much more detail in
my essay on AD and AS in Blaug and Lloyd's new book Famous Diagrams and
Figures in Economics

.
Richard G. Lipsey
Phone: 778-279-1002

WINNER OF THE 2006 SCHUMPETER PRIZE:
ECONOMIC TRANSFORMATIONS:
General Purpose Technologies and Long Term Economic Growth
Richard G. Lipsey, Kenneth I. Carlaw, and Clifford T. Bekar

Available now through all good bookshops, or direct from Oxford University
Press at: