From:
[log in to unmask] (Robin Foliet Neill)
Date:
===================== HES POSTING ====================

There seems to be a consensus that there is no generally acceptable
definition of Neoclassical Economics.  Still, I know some economists who
consider themselves to be deep in Neoclassical Economics. They, of course,
are not interested in defining it.  Who wants to be tied down?  Who wants
to set up a target for crafty opponents of the cause?  I have heard them
argue that its best to get undergraduates to DO economics, rather than to
have them intellectualize about it by trying to define it. The dominant
Neoclassical paradigm is very much alive.  Those inside are not interested
in defining it.  They dont need a definition.  Those outside have an
interest in showing that there is no such thing.  That its a fictive
element of the establishment's imaginative propaganda.  That Neoclassical
Economics is some thing existing in the information environment, it seems
to me, is beyond question.  It is also beyond question that it is in the
interest of many not to define it

..What we need here is not an economist historian, but an historian of
Economics, someone skilled in the sociology of knowledge,in the social
construction of knowledge. To explain why, to make sense of the fact
that, no one wants to say that Neoclassical Economics has a definition.