From:
[log in to unmask] (David W. Versailles)
Date:
================= HES POSTING =================

At 11:42 09/08/1996 -0500, Esther Mirjam Sent  wrote about the Uncover
delivery service:

>        http://www.carl.org/uncover/
>
>It is the Web-site of UnCover, an online periodical article delivery
>service and a current awareness alerting service.
>
>UnCover indexes nearly 17,000 English language periodicals in its database
>and is still growing.

This is right.

>Over seven million articles are available through a
>simple online order system. Five thousand citations are added daily.
>Articles appear in UnCover at the same time the periodical issue is
>delivered to your library or local newsstand, which makes UnCover the most
>up-to-date index anywhere.

That is a bit less true. Let's rather say that articles appear in a month
or so. However, it all depends on the period in the academic year.

>The UnCover Reveal Alert service delivers tables
>of contents from the latest
>periodical issues directly to your e-mail box and your stored search
>strategies are automatically run each week against new articles added to
>the database, and the results e-mailed.

Once more, this is right. Up to 50 tables of contents are sent directly to
your e-mail account, and up to 25 personalized searches for $20.00 a year.
Great.

>UnCover may be used for
>up-to-the-minute information, delivered to you quickly.

Some of the journals are in a special database, are already scanned, and
may
be sent to your fax machine within ONE hour!!!!

>Searching the
>UnCover database is absolutely FREE! You only pay for the articles that
you
>order. Articles cost US $8.50, plus copyright royalty fee.

Average cost for one article for me is around $12.50, whatever the number
of
pages. You have to figure that I ALWAYS pay a extra fax costs because I am
in
Europe. Faxes are sent from Denver, CO, Oxford UK, or Sydney Australia, and
are transfered to these faxing services through the Internet. When faxes
are not so nice and not so useful because of large black spots (it can
happen), the faxes are sent again, sometimes from another town. When I had
problems with the Oxford faxing service because of some techninal
inferences, they sent me papers from Sydney and Denver. Imagine the extra
costs for them, none for me!!

You may pay for the articles each time you order, or open an account there.
That
is what I chose. You may send all information by fax.

>UnCover is available over the Internet by telnetting to database.carl.org.
>It is also offered through BH Blackwell's CONNECT Service. UnCover can be
>dialed directly via modem at (303) 756-3600. The World Wide Web address is
>http://www.carl.org/uncover. UnCover works with all standard
communications
>software, on any PC or Macintosh.

I tried all connecting options. It is always fine.

>I couldn't figure out how far back it goes, so it might not be as useful
>for historians of economics.

Just browse in the list of journals. All major journals ara available,
which is absolutely wonderful for economists and therefore also for the
historians of economics. I ordered articles from the 1911 AER, and from
"ancient" JPE's. No problem. If they do not have the relevant issue, they
just send you a fax with information, and they do not charge you.

>For a similar service focused on economics, check out:
>
>        http://www.elsevier.nl/homepage/sae/
>
>This is the Web-site of Elsevier Science,

I do not know this server. Never used it.

I am also looking for a similar service providing articles gathered in
books. Would anyone have any information about it?

If you get in contact with UnCover at Blackwell's in Oxford, you may send
you correspondence to the attention of Ms Alison McKEVITT or to Mrs Jane
BEDDALL, mentionning that you got their names from me. There are really
kind and helped me a lot in choosing the relevant payment system as I
started with UnCover. There were also very efficient when I had problems
with the fax
transmission.

Regards,

David W Versailles
Marseille & Aix en Provence, France
eMail : [log in to unmask]
voice : +33 - 91 98 50 96
gsm : +33 - 09 52 54 56
modem : +33 - 91 63 06 42
VISIT MY HOMEPAGE  (currectly in a French version only) :
www.mm-soft.fr/monoweb/dwversail/