From:
Pat Gunning <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Feb 2011 22:37:36 -0500
Hi, Ric:

I have some questions and a comment.

Why do you suggest that collective bargaining is an institution? Isn't
it more accurate to call it a special legal right granted by the State
to a representative of the MAJORITY of employees of a particular
organization? By virtue of his being elected by the majority, the union
boss receives the legal right to prevent the free exchange of work for
pay between those who do not wish to be represented by the elected union
officials and the employer.

Moreover, why do you call this "collective action through a democratic
process?" Suppose that a majority of firms in an industry agreed through
a cartel to raise price. And suppose that the law permitted the cartel
boss to dictate industry price even to competitors who sought to
undercut the cartel price. Would this also be an example of collective
action through the democratic process?

One might justify allowing a union boss this special privilege on the
grounds that employers had previously succeeded in restricting free
exchange. I am not discussing what is right or wrong here. I am only
suggesting that you might wish to use other terms.

Commons viewed the trade agreement that results from collective
bargaining as between unions and industry. One side wants higher pay and
restrictions on bosses; the other wants lower pay and a freer hand. That
is not the issue in dispute in Wisconsin, as I understand it. My
understanding is that the legislature, on the basis of a recommendation
from the governor, aims to alter the rules regarding the kinds of
bargains that are allowable between a union and the representatives of
local governments. The local government officials have not tried to
restrict employees from expressing grievances individually or
collectively. On the contrary, the State of Wisconsin has a variety of
protections for individuals worker against arbitrary treatment by
supervisors. Rather than a "fight for collective bargaining," it would
seem better to call it a "fight for the wealth and income of Wisconsin
taxpayers." A more appropriate reference than Commons might be Mancur Olson.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Logic_of_Collective_Action

http://books.google.com/books?id=W0fGAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA605&lpg=PA605&dq=%22John+R.+Commons%22+%22collective+bargaining%22&source=bl&ots=-g0rIhtd65&sig=7OL5UGltywRUhtDYTgbo4KA6jF4&hl=en&ei=ZtVhTbnUK4G2tgf8mtC8DA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=7&ved=0CEEQ6AEwBg#v=onepage&q=%22John%20R.%20Commons%22%20%22collective%20bargaining%22&f=false

Best wishes,

--
Pat Gunning
Professor of Economics