From:
[log in to unmask] (Ross B. Emmett)
Date:
===================== HES POSTING ===================

            "Globalization From Below:
Contingency and Contestation in Historical Perspective"

      an international conference at Duke University, Durham, NC

      February 5th-8th, 1998

Second call for papers: abstracts due November 1st 1997

Confirmed keynote speakers include Mary Louise Pratt

If globalization is such a multivocal and complex process,
constituted by numerous axes of domination and innovation, why have
its analyses tended to be so singleminded and monolingual?

We invite papers on topics such as the following:

 globalization in historical context
 "disorganized" labor and "disorganized" capital
 from slavery to emancipation
 the politics of the family and the post-welfare state
 forced labor, wage labor, affective labor, immaterial labor
 the black Atlantic, the cosmic race: hybridities and traditions
 struggle and revolution
 gendering the global economy
 capital flight as response to labor movement(s)
 identity, ethnicity, and culture in flux
 internationalism and post-nationalism
 technology and resistance: the internet protest and
organization
 women and global networks
 the environment and environmentalism
 development and its discontents
 labor history: workers and workers' movements in a global market
 national responses to increasing capital mobility
 prostitution in migrant economies
 contesting the old/new world order
 intellectual property, the privatization of information, and free
trade
 the autonomy of capitalist command; the anatomy of new
social movements
 the "postwork" society, from unemployment to pensions
 place, space and globalization
 gender, race, labor & imperialism
 the Atlantic economy in the age of revolutions
 from the plantation to las maquiladoras
 Domestic work and international migration
 wages for housework: the price of reproduction
 communication networks: spreading subversion, disseminating
ideology
 peripheral modernities and the third world in the
developed heartland
 the welfare state in a global society
 the country and the city: urbanizations and nationalisms
 reactive capital, working class autonomy

Please send one-page abstracts by November 1st 1997 to:

Jon Beasley-Murray, Vince Brown, or Paul Husbands
"Globalization from Below" conference
Center for International Studies
Box 90404
Duke University
Durham, NC 27708-0404

fax. (919) 684-8749
tel. (919) 286 3526

email [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask]
conference webpage: http://jefferson.village.virginia.edu/~spoons/global/

Sponsored by the graduate seminar in Interdisciplinary Studies with
funding from the Ford Foundation, the Trent Foundation, and Duke
University's Center for International Studies.

Graduate and faculty submissions welcome.

-----
Further information:

"Globalization From Below: Contingency and Contestation in
Historical Perspective"

This conference is concerned with "globalization" as a dynamic,
contested and often contingent process.  Rather than concentrating
upon the huge, apparently irresistible structures that have shaped
our world in the last 500 years we will look rather at how different
people and groups in specific situations and places have struggled
to come to terms with, and often conduct resistance against, the
developing global system.

Globalization is all too often defined in strictly economistic terms,
but by drawing attention to the negotiations that have constituted
globalization at the local level we hope to understand it in more
complex and nuanced ways.  In so doing we hope to re-conceptualize
globalization as a process that is and has been more open-ended
and full of possibilities than is generally recognized.

Is there a fixed direction inherent in globalization?  Or have
global  processes sometimes historically resulted from ad hoc
organized and disorganized?  How have temporary stratagems come to
seem--or come to be--such overwhelming forces?

The current wave of globalization has transformed the composition of
the various forces and groups that make up the global
system--allowing perhaps new social movements or multinational
conglomerates to come to the fore.  Thus traditional alliances are
restructured and historic antagonisms dissipated or rekindled.  We
propose a historically informed investigation into the balance of
power and states of struggle that result.