From:
Glenn Hueckel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Feb 2009 12:54:45 -0500
David Mitch recalled Stigler's view of macroeconomics and asked for the
source.  The comment quoted by Mitch appeared in an interview published
in the now-defunct magazine, __The Margin__, edited by Timothy
Tregarthen, July 1985, p. 4.  The comment arose in Stigler's response to
a question put to him by the interviewer (Tregarthen) asking for
Stigler's reaction to Robert Gordon's observation that "George Stigler
is to the study of microeconomics and regulation what Milton Friedman is
to the study of macroeconomics and monetarism."  Stiger's response
(which reflected on their close friendship) ended with the following:

        "Unlike some people who have really specialized one way or the
other, I think he's [Friedman] covered both fields.  I, on the contrary,
know very little macroeconomics, and I thank God for it every day,
because it changes once a year, and that's an enormous strain to put on
a person."

Glenn Hueckel