From:
Stefan Jacobsen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Mar 2009 13:32:52 -0400
The question M. Perelman raised, whether or not one can talk about an
actual influence of Chinese (Confucian) thought in the economics of
Quesnay, is a tricky one. Judging from close readings of his
references of China, it seems not only a "ruse" though. Quesnay was -
as Voltaire, Bayle and so many others in th 18th century - an actual
admirer of many Chinese policies and thought many of them could be
applied more or less directly in Europe (as opposed to Montesquieu
who also discussed the question).
Proving beyond doubt that some of Quesnays original contributions can
be traced to China isn't easy though. It can be seen in his texts
that he was aware of China at least from the middle of the 1750's.
This is also the time he started turning to economics, but it wasn't
until the 1760's that he, and other leading physiocrats, started to
use the example of and the Chinese empire specifically and alluding
to Chinese thought in general when laying out physiocratic theory. If
it is not too immodest to mention: I am currently working on a paper
on this very topic, of which I will give a presentation at the ESHET
annual conference in April.

Stefan G. Jacobsen