From:
Erreygers Guido <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Apr 2009 08:33:04 -0400
I recently found out that in an article published last year by an
American philosophy journal, someone has used material on the history of
economic thought which I had published in 1997, without proper
acknowledgment. (By this I mean that the author of the article has
copied several of my sentences literally without using quotation marks
and without mentioning her source.)

My first reaction was to write to the editor of the journal and ask him
whether the journal has a specific policy with regard to (accusations
of) plagiarism. He replied that I should address my questions directly
to the author. I have the impression that he is reluctant to get
involved in the issue.

I would like to know whether members of this list have had similar
experiences, and whether there is a proper way to handle these issues.
The economist in me is telling me that since there are so many
interesting things to do, I should not spend too much time on trying to
set the record straight. But I am also convinced that plagiarism is a
despicable activity, and that I have a duty to react. (Students at my
university face a severe penalty if they are caught; I don't think that
we should be more tolerant for scholars.)

I would also like to know how those who have experience as journal
editors have handled such cases. Is it a standard policy for journals to
let those directly concerned sort things out? Or do journal editors have
a moral obligation to try and find out who is wrong and who is right,
and then speak out?

Many thanks.

Guido Erreygers