From:
"Rosser, John Barkley - rosserjb" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Feb 2014 19:28:00 +0000
At risk of seriously rejoining the ongoing downward spiral, let me simply note that the unit of account function of money may be based on a purely (or effectively) abstract entity, although it will likely bear a relation to the main medium (or media) of exchange.  Until the monetary reform in the 1970s, one found prices in stores in Britain in guineas, which were curiously equal to one pound plus one shilling.  Between 1999 and 2001, in the Eurozone prices for Eurobonds and international transactions were in euros, but within each nation their respective national currencies continued to be used for cash transactions, there being no physical euros until after Jan. 2001 (except in Belgium where those eurofans did print up some just for kicks).  Many ancient societies have had such abstract units, although often derived from a physical unit.  Certain societies where cattle are the principal source of wealth and store of value and used for such transactions as buying a bride use abstract measures of cattle for pricing that are not clearly tied to any particular ox, which vary in quality across each other.  In rural areas of colonial US, there were essentially no British pounds in any form, gold or paper (they could be found in limited supplies in urban areas on the coast) with such items as tobacco receipts or coonskins being used as media of exchange, even as prices were in pounds.  There are many such examples throughout history and across different societies.