From:
Roy Davidson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Mar 2009 19:24:55 -0400
Interesting discussion between James Ahiakpor & Roger Sandilands on
the definition of money. I'm not sure the Federal Reserve has a
consistent or clear concept of money. Is it Currency in Circulation,
M1, M2, M3, MZM?

As a <i>reduction ad absurdum<i> is a Federal Reserve Note money? I
have in my hand a 1928 $50 Federal Reserve Note. On its face it
states "Redeemable on demand at the United States Treasury or in gold
or lawful money at any Federal Reserve Bank." On the bottom of the
note-"The United States of America will pay to the bearer on demand
Fifty Dollars."

As a practical matter, Roger is correct that banks create money with
significant control by the central bank.

Roy Davidson