From:
Samuel Bostaph <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Jan 2009 07:23:16 -0500
I always use the dates given in historical documents unless there is
an error on the author's part. The reasoning is simple: those who
create documents create them in their calendar context. Historians
may inhabit other calendar contexts. If we are to communicate
successfully with one another now and in the future, we need a point
of reference that we all recognize. The original document date (or
time) is such a point.
Adam Smith's baptismal date was June 5, 1723, to those involved in it.

Samuel Bostaph