From:
Alan Freeman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Apr 2009 08:38:42 -0400
As regards recourses for plagiarism, it seems to me the laws of
copyright ought to offer legal redress. They certainly do in the
music and advertising businesses, where any suspicion of copying
words, bits of tunes, or even in one recent case, facial appearance,
are disputed at the drop of a writ. I see nothing ethically wrong in
using the courts to settle what is in essence a civil dispute, if the
relevant authorities are not willing to do so. The courts could also
robustly deal, I would have thought, with problems of 'where to draw
the line' raised by Julian.

At the risk of extending this interesting discussion on plagiarism in
a direction it may not want to go, can I raise the related issue of
misrepresentation?

Ethically, this discussion suggests, our duty as practicing
economists is to provide the reader with accurate - and verifiable -
information about the sources of the any evidence we offer.

But if a source, whilst correctly referenced, is misquoted or
tendentiously reported, this can be just as irresponsible and
damaging as quoting accurately, but failing to acknowledge.
Particularly so, when authors merely assert that 'Keynes, as is
well-known, said x', whereas, in fact, Keynes said nothing of the
sort - to take a case in point.

My experience is that economists are ready and willing to take up the
cudgels if the person misrepresented is alive, above all if the
injured party is the economist in question. But not so willing if the
injured party is another economist, above all, a dead one. Which
suggest, as Adam Smith may or may not have noted with approval, that
self-interest is a more powerful force than altruistic ethical
values. Misrepresentation, if ethically wrong, is surely wrong in
general, rather than in particular cases only.

One difference is the following:  there is general recognition that
plagiarism is unacceptable, which is why when it is discovered,
editors and reviewers at least usually have the decency to be
embarrassed. But there seems to be no general recognition of any duty
to represent accurately, or at least, to make the attempt to do so.

I would be interested to know whether others on this list have encountered:

(1) cases where misrepresentation has been contested
(2) prescriptive material - like the material on plagiarism - which
contains guidelines as to what is to be deprecated, and what could be
considered good practice

This is certainly a problem we've tried to address at Critique of
Political Economy, where we have provided editorial guidelines for
article reviewers, that specifically refer to this issue.

Alan Freeman