From:
Eric Schliesser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Jul 2009 17:13:58 -0400
A belated response to Menno's points.  The question was about the
claim about people that say they trade for the public good. These
people demand preferences and rewards that generally benefit only
them. Smith's whole book is a polemic against special merchant
interests claiming preferences/protections & subsidies/monopolies in
name of public good. Smith does not deny that sometimes trading for
public good can produce good outcomes for society, but he thinks that
on balance society benefits far more from people who pursue their own
interests/trades.

I think it is a bit misleading to speak in terms of
optimal/sub-optimal outcomes. If one were to use anachronistic
language, I would say that Smith's point is a public choice
(rent-seeking) one here

Sincerely,

Eric Schliesser