From:
Sumitra Shah <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Feb 2011 16:17:19 -0500
Is There Too Little Theory in Development Economics Today?<http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&sqi=2&ved=0CBsQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fbjstrew.com%2Fbe%2FEPW.pdf&ei=dAtPTaqtFNHpgAeA5JXfDw&usg=AFQjCNFtR6TY35t7Ej5_YepAqGUSOWiF6g>
I am not sure if this link will provide the answers you are looking for, but it is worth a try. It includes the following essays in a 2005 symposium covered in the Economic and Political Weekly, an Indian publication:

"Too little theory in Development economics today/", by Dilip Mukerjee
"Theory of empirics in development economics", by Pranab Bardhan
"New empirical development economics" by Kaushik Basu
"Goldilocks development economic" by Ravi Kanbur
"New development economics and challenges to theory" by Abhijeet Banerjee

These are highly regarded economists and I believe Banerjee is involved in development research with his colleague Esther Dufflo at MIT. I haven't read the essays in a long time. But certainly there are valuable references to be found. If the link doesn't work, I can send it to you off-line again.

Sumitra Shah

________________________________
Dear all,

I'm wondering if any of you can point me to something recent about the origin of the idea of economic development. I have read H.W. Arndt´s The History of an Idea (1987) and a very interesting collection of papers edited by Frederick Cooper and Randal Packard called International Development and the Social Sciences (1997) But I´d like to know if there is anything more recent that any of you can recommend. Thanks in advance for any help.

Sergio

--
Sergio Silva Castaneda
Lecturer on History and Social Studies