From:
ALCOUFFE ALAIN <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 May 2013 14:29:49 +0200
Hi, Robin,
I'm not sure what Robin means with excess compensation but without
tracking the issue back to Veblen or Hobson, you could consider to
read :
Roberts, David R., "A General Theory of Executive Compensation Based
on Statistically Tested. Propositions," Quarterly Journal of Economics
70, May 1956,
Herbert A. Simon The Compensation of Executives, Sociometry, Vol. 20,
No. 1 (Mar., 1957), pp. 32-35
McGuire, J.W., Chiu, J.S.Y., and Elbing, A.O. (1962). Executive
income, sales, and profits. American Economic Review, 52(4), 753?761
R. J. Monsen and A. Downs, "A Theory of Large. Managerial Firms,"
Journal of Political Economy, LXXIII (June 1965)
These papers are discussed at length in my unfortunately in French
1976 PhD (along with papers and books  by O. E. Williamson).
best