Date:
Fri Mar 31 17:19:17 2006
From:
[log in to unmask] (Loren Rice)
================= HES POSTING =================

from The University of Tennessee.  While there I studied under Hans Jensen
in the area of History of Economic Thought. My goal as a graduate student
was ultimately to attain a position at a liberal arts institution and be
primarily a teacher much more so than a researcher.  I have found my
exposure to History of Economic Thought to be invaluable in my daily work.

Teaching in a liberal arts environment often means teaching at a smaller
school.  Teaching at a smaller school means teaching many different areas,
i.e. not having the luxury of only teaching in my fields.  I say luxury
because that would make the job much easier with fewer preps being
required. I also believe that it would make the job much less interesting.
Anyway, back to the point I am trying to make, my training in History of
Economic Thought has allowed me to teach in wide variety of areas in the
discipline without great difficulty. Further, I really question how one can
claim to be an economist with little or no knowledge of where the
discipline has been.  As such, I certainly do mourn the end of teaching
such an important area in so many grad schools.

Dr. Loren Rice
The University of Science and Arts of Oklahoma