Sender:
From:
John Médaille <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Mar 2009 08:26:32 -0400
I am enjoying this discussion, but a
clarification, please. James is arguing in favor
of the FRS, and Pat against it. I had assumed
that Pat was for a gold system, but he says that
while he would like that, he is not actually
proposing it. In which case, what are you proposing?

Also, I do not understand the distinction in this
sentence: "Let's keep in mind that the function
of financial intermediation is not to get money
from savers to investors, like a Keynesian might
argue, but to enable the purchasing power of
savers to be employed in the directions that most
satisfy consumer wants both in the near and more
distant future, as a good Austrian would argue."
Isn't that part of what investors do? Of course,
investors also speculate with the money, as we
have seen, an "investment" which adds nothing,
since in speculation, one man's gains are
measured by another man's loses; there is no net gain.

John C. Médaille