Date:
Wed, 5 Oct 2011 13:52:02 -0400
From:
Gary Mongiovi <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:
I agree. I wonder whether there are any generally accepted conventions concerning the publication of passages extracted from referee reports. It is not only the referee who might be compromised by the publication of such remarks, but also the not-always-anonymous author of the paper being refereed, who can come in for some pretty rough treatment.

As an editor, I would be extremely hesitant to publish any part of a referee report that was less than a quarter of a century old, and I could easily be persuaded that the cut-off ought to be fifty years. A possible exception might be a passage that conveyed the scientific views of the ref, independently of the content of the paper being reffed, and that contained no info that might identify the paper under review.

Gary

Gary Mongiovi, Co-Editor
Review of Political Economy
Economics & Finance Department