Date:
Thu, 17 Feb 2011 09:39:03 +0100
Dear Mason,
indeed, with Fred Lee we have been discussing similar issues. In setting up the newsletter, we adopted the sociological definition that you
may find in his heterodoxnews.com   website, i.e. we label as heterodox (and therefore we include in the NEP-HME) the work of those
scholars who depart from what they themselves see as the majority view.
However, while I do think this definition allows us to provide a good service to a sufficiently large number of economists, from a theoretical
point of view I always felt unsatisfied with the "community" definition of mainstream and/or heterodox. Not only because the two categories
seem almost useless for the aim of developing a realistic description of contemporary economics, but especially because different schools
hold different views of what is the majority (or "mainstream" or whatever): if the Sraffians would point their finger at models exhibiting an
aggregate notion of capital, Post-Keynesians would criticize the lack of fundamental uncertainty and Feminists would reject models based on
the homo economicus.
Yet, I do personally think that there is something common in the dominant majority of papers published by contemporary economists (not
only by "neocon academics" as you suggest), that ranges from the pre-analytical vision of the economy to the definition of what is
acceptable method of enquiry. They would say that this commonality is the foundation of economics itself, though other economists deny
this.
Being a relatively young and curious enough scholar, I'm very interested in knowing what other members of this list think.

Carlo D'Ippoliti

gio 17/02/11 03:07 , "mason gaffney" [log in to unmask] ha inviato:

---- Nuova grafica e nuove funzionalità! Crea subito Gratis la tua nuova Casella di Posta  Katamail