From:
michael perelman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Jun 2011 08:21:20 -0700
Spencer's note is accurate.  The Scottish school of materialism had a
significant influence on German philosophy.  Consequently, the
parallels between Marx and Smith were not accidental.  Also, Marx is
probably more respectful of Smith than he was towards any other major
economist.

Alan's passing reference to intellectual property is relevant.
Historically, most libertarian economists regarded intellectual
property as a form of monopoly.