From:
Anthony Waterman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Aug 2011 13:05:15 -0500
The graduate students at the University of Manitoba had organised a
grand conference on Marx with lavish funding. The keynote speaker was a
famous author from the New School of Social Research and he was to get
an honorarium of $3,000. Among the supporting cast of visiting speakers
was Warren Samuels. He was to receive $500. Our keynote speaker
delivered an ill-connected sequence of platitudes, evidently concocted
on the flight from New York to Winnipeg.  Samuels, who never despised
anyone merely because he was Canadian, gave us a carefully constructed
paper, lucid, scholarly and relevant -- perhaps the best of the entire
conference. His performance on that occasion was typical of him.

Anthony Waterman