From:
"Evelyn L. Forget" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Oct 2011 13:35:07 -0500
Let me add my voice to the mix, particularly since JHET was
referenced. It seems to me a real violation of the author's (and
referee's) privacy for a journal to make referee reports from a couple
of years ago available to other researchers.

We have an implicit contract with both referees and authors, but I've
certainly refereed for agencies that have an EXPLICIT contract that
indicates the agency will not reveal the name of the referee, and asks
a referee to commit to keep confidential all items shared as part of
the process before the paper (or grant application) is released to the
referee. Violations can be (and are) treated as academic dishonesty.
(No time limit is mentioned.)

It never occurred to me that we needed such an explicit contract, but
perhaps we ought to think about it.

Evelyn Forget