From:
David Vazquez Guzman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Jun 2014 12:27:02 -0600
Dear all:

When I see this almost "canonical" quote of Mr. Keynes, that he "repudiated all versions of the doctrine of original sin," he was not saying anything new, but ascribed himself to a very well know doctrine in the British tradition of Bernard Mandeville (1714), who claimed in his satirist contribution: "Private Vices, Public Benefits." Based on that, David Hume (1739) in his Treatise of Human Nature (THN, 3.II.6) wrote something very similar, and he also influenced scholars at the stature of Adam Smith, which he befriended (Montes, 2004). Perhaps Mr. Keynes, the same as other British scholars, had strong, but very strong reasons to ascribe to a such (non-institutional) belief. The last reference just seems to blend in a Machiavelic inheritance, because of the saying that "foul is useful," where "Avarice and usury and precaution must be our gods" is part of the same thing.

When Bernard Mandeville wrote his poem The Fable of the Bees, he found also opposition to his ideas in the context of an institutionalized religion. He might wanted to free philosophers from the chains of the Church, but he might not think that (literally) 300 years later, a similar (academic) institution will be established, where dogmas and axioms are the basis of present economic knowledge. Nevertheless, I think this list is different in the sense that we want to challenge the present views with openness of criteria.

This Leeson - Isaac talk, where one "kindly" offers the other a good treatment (an "offer," is said) if and only if the other agrees to "share" a common view on the matter (in my words, that guile can be deceit, but that deceit might not be ethically wrong, because one dangerously joins the concept with dishonesty, which has strong connotations in our present academic environment), remembers me the beginning of the Calvin and Servetus conflict, when the former disagreed with the later because of a doctrinal discord. Thankfully, today there is no institution that can be burned us at the stake, at least literally (yet perhaps academically?).

I might not know which is Leeson's point of view, but I think that guile is deceit, and deceit, in the context given, is not just morally or ethically wrong, but plainly wrong. About "fouling," perhaps a deep-rooted custom, I do not know anyone that wants to be "fouled."

Regards,

David.