From:
"Colander, David" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Feb 2009 08:52:24 -0500
Below are some quotations I selected for Milton Friedman to go on an
economist's calendar.  If any of you have any "better" selections
please let me know.

A few ground rules for the discussion:

	1. Space is limited, so please accompany any suggested quotation
with a suggestion of which quotation to cut.

	2. The new quotation can be no longer than the cut quotation.

	3. Please give the source for any quotation you give--I will have to
get permissions for each.

Milton Friedman

In monetary matters, appearances are deceiving; the important
relationships are often precisely the reverse of those that strike
the eye." (676, Monetary History of the US)

Because we live in a largely free society, we tend to forget how
limited is the span of time and the part of the globe for which there
has ever been anything like political freedom: the typical state of
mankind is tyranny, servitude, and misery. The nineteenth century and
early twentieth century in the Western world stand out as striking
exceptions to general trend of historical development. Political
freedom in this instance clearly came along with the free market and
the development of capitalist institutions. So also did political
freedom in the golden age of Greece and in the early days of the
Roman era." (10, Capitalism and Freedom).

With respect to teachers' salaries, the major problem is not that
they are too low on the average-they may well be too high on the
average-but that they are to uniform and rigid. Poor teachers are
grossly overpaid and good teachers grossly underpaid. Salary
schedules tend to be uniform and determined far more by seniority,
degrees received, and teaching certificates acquired than by merit."
(95, Capitalism and Freedom).

Few trends could so thoroughly undermine the very foundations of our
free society as the acceptance by corporate officials of a social
responsibility other than to make as much money for their
stockholders as possible. This is a fundamentally subversive
doctrine.  (133, Capitalism and Freedom).

No major institution in the U.S. has so poor a record of performance
over so long a period as the Federal Reserve, yet so high a public
recognition." (Aug, 19, 2003, "The Fed's Thermostat; WSJ).

Dave Colander